Salzburg Castle [Festung Hohensalzburg] holds a commanding position on Festungsberg Hill. It is one of Europe’s largest medieval castles. This fortress was built in 1077 by Archbishop Gebhard to protect Imperial troops of the Holy Roman Empire. Ring walls and towers were built by Burkhard II of Weißpriach in 1462. The castle was further expanded under the reign of Archbishop Leonhard von Keutschach [1495 to 1519].