- Jim on the sad state of beer in Taiwan.
- MJ hosts a BBQ party on the roof.
- Craig introduces readers to the familiar yet mysterious Eight Generals.
- Rachel goes zorbing in Kending.
- Stu takes a short hike to the Silong Waterfall.
- Is ‘adoah’ a humorous word used to refer to Westerners or insulting and offensive? I simply find it annoying.
- Fili covers Chinese censorship and online social movements.
- Arthur Dent posts entries for a short paragraph the international press could use when describing the political situation of Taiwan.
- A-gu on former President Chen’s letter to President Ma asking him to lift the travel ban on his daughter. Also, A-gu’s 2009 County magistrate and mayoral elections map. Speaking of which, Michael Turton provides an overview of the mergers and upgrades.
- On the book front: J. Michael Cole announces the release of Democracy in Peril: Taiwan’s struggle for survival from Chen Shui-bian to Ma Ying-jeou. David reviews Austronesian Taiwan, a collection of papers on the Austronesian speaking peoples of Formosa, and Scott introduces readers to Caroline Tsai’s book Taiwan in Japan’s Empire Building: An Institutional Approach to Colonial Engineering.
EVENTS: The Taipei Film Festival runs from now through July 12. Dems Abroad with a Fourth of July fundraiser in Kaohsiung. Photowalks in Taipei and Taichung on July 18. The 2009 World Games in Kaohsiung July 16-26. Cosplay at NTU July 25-26. More events at Taiwanderful. Looking for a concert? David has a round-up of upcoming summer music festivals. Also check out GigGuide Taiwan!
I’ve been busy planning my honeymoon so I’ve been terrible about posting daily photos, but Darren never misses a beat!