View the large
Our first full day in Kyoto was spent in Arashiyama [嵐山], a scenic district in Western Kyoto. The Panorama above shows the Katsura River [桂川], to the far left of the panorama is the Togetsukyo Bridge [渡月橋].
We explored the area on rented bicycles. Pedestrian and vehicle traffic around the area wasn’t too bad.
Our first stop was Hogonin Temple [宝厳院], a sub-temple of the Tenryu-ji Temple complex [天龍寺].
Hogonin was originally built in 1461 by Hosokawa Yoriyuki, an official of the Muromachi Shogun.
Hogonin was located on a large site in Kyoto’s Kamigyou-ku District.
After burning in the fires of the Onin War [1467-1477], it was reconstructed during the Tensho era [1573-1592].
During the Meiji period, it was moved to Tenryu-ji, where it became a sub-temple.
All information, unless otherwise noted, is from tourist information plaques and brochures.